I was unaware of the trend towards southern gothic writing present in my work until a recent review of my archives. While there are many other stories there that will never see the light of day, some of my strongest work takes place in mythical, southerly landscapes. The short stories herein draw inspiration from sources as far and wide as the book of Genesis, the Greek Minotaur, and even right down the hall from my most recent employer.
The following stories appear in Funky Monk:
- “Invention,” originally published in Quail Bell Magazine in 2014
- “The Gore”, currently seeking publication*
- “Scarecrow,” currently seeking publication*
- “The Ballad of James & Angie”
- only available in this compilation
*This compilation will not be made available until the rights to any further publications revert to the author.
photo: Mateusz Raczynski